Sunday, August 24, 2008

Help

Okay, after disapproving of blog posts that plead for help, I'm going to do it again.

The boxes for the A Drink To Us (When We're Both Dead) edition are currently being manufactured. They will be hinged caskets held together with rare-earth magnets, with foil embossing on the front mimicking a heat brand. The verso will have a printed label with some information about the piece that isn't included in the contract. I want to use this image, but I can't find a version at a decent enough resolution. I've come across the picture on three different sites, but always at 288 x 363. It's perfect for so many reasons but I need a crisper, larger image.

Does anyone happen to recognize it? Know what terms one might search to find it (beyond 'dendrology')? Know of a program or a search engine that lets one search using an image as a starting point? (the technology exists, I just don't know where).




When I read that part of the Hitchcock script where Madeleine and Scottie are among the redwoods, she touches the tree rings and says, “Here I was born and here I died. It was only a moment. You took no notice," I got goose-bumps. When it came to shoot that scene, I had goose-bumps. Just touching that old tree was truly moving to me because when you touch these trees, you have such a sense of the passage of time, of history. It’s like you’re touching the essence, the very substance of life. I remember taking my father to see the redwood forest once. He wept and so did I. He ‘got’ it in the same way as I do. We never talked about it. That scene in Vertigo I felt more than any other.

- Kim Novak

And so all you observers
In your scrutiny
Don't count my scars like tree rings


- Vic Chesnutt, Panic Pure

1 comment:

Dave Dyment said...

email response -

I'm pretty sure that must be a cross section of a giant sequoia (the only other possibility would be the closely related coast redwood but even they are not usually that big). No idea where that was taken, there are a number of sections that were cut from stumps or logs mostly in the late 1800s/early 1900s and sent to various museums and other places around the country (around the world!).